Second try: xfprint-manager setup problem

Philip Dean pddean at engineering.uiowa.edu
Mon Oct 13 02:15:58 CEST 2003

Hi Paul,

I would be glad to help you out, but there is one problem.  I haven't
ever gotten Xfprint4 to work with my cups system.  I was hoping that
someone would answer you as well.

Philip Dean

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:36:55 -0400
"Paul M. Bucalo" <pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com> typed into existance the
words:

> My original post was this past Friday. No one took a stab at it.
> Either my problem was extremely difficult or very stupid. :0) Maybe,
> someone will have some productive finger points for me this time, if
> not an answer?
>
> I could really use some help in understanding how to set up
> xfprint-manager to work with my LPD printers.
>
> PC #1: Mandrake 9.1 with 'kdm' running XFce-4 in a session.
> PC #2: Red Hat 9 PC with 'gdm' running XFce-4 in a session.
>
> The print server is an "Intel Netport Express 10/100"
>
> Printer #1
> Printer Name: Epson ActionLaser 1500
> Alias Name: eps1500
> Server Name: print
> Server Queue Name: lpt1_passthru
>
> Printer #2
> Printer Name: Epson Stylus Color 660
> Alias Name: eps660
> Server Name: print
> Server Queue Name: lpt2_passthru
>
> I use 'CUPS' while in KDE apps, and sometimes 'xpp' in other apps.
> This works fine. Always has.
>
> I can't seem to find the correct 'wording' for 'xfprint-manager' to
> connect to either of these printers when doing a drag-n-drop from
> 'xffm' onto the xfprint-manager' icon on the panel. None of the common
> and obvious printer queue names see work. What I get is an error
> message that states the print manager was unable to find the printer.
>
> BTW, the whole network is statically addressed, with HOSTS and/or
> LMHOSTS files on all machines, as required. No DNS problems. No
> problems pinging anybody, anywhere, any time. The *only* application
> on either distro/PC that has any problem printing is...you guessed
> it: 'xfprint-manager'!
>
> Can it be that 'xfprint-manager' will not work with remote LAN
> printers? I find that hard to believe! What am I doing wrong and what
> should I do to make 'xfprint-manager' see my printers?
>
> Thanks,
> ]
> Paul

-=+=-
They say if your PC isn't working reboot...
Hummm.... I haven't rebooted in months!!
-=+=-
Using Linux since 11/99 | http://www.linux.org
Linux user #240138 | http://counter.li.org
Linux-Mandrake | http://www.linux-mandrake.com