menu item to start other wm

Ken Moffat kmoffat at drizzle.com
Fri Oct 10 15:48:28 CEST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

>>> Is there a command I can add to the xfce4 destop menu to start
>>> another window manager/desktop invironment? On xfce3 and Icewm you
>>> can add the "restart" command to go to a different desktop.
>>

> > Nope, there is nothing similar in xfce4
> >

> I must admit some confusion on the matter of /why/ though. If I need a
> session in a different WM, it's only going to be for demos and such -
> I'll generally just use "Xnest -query localhost" or start another X
> server.

Why, because what I do now is boot to Icewm and generally stay there,
but more and more often I like to play with different wm's to see if I
want to switch. I have played with xfce4 a lot, but I can't switch out
of it to play with enlightenment or back to ice or whatever. Logging out
closes the apps and takes too long. I'll try your suggestion about
Xnest, thank you.

--
Ken