menu item to start other wm

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 8 14:16:41 CEST 2003

>>Is there a command I can add to the xfce4 destop menu to start another
>>window manager/desktop invironment? On xfce3 and Icewm you can add the
>>"restart" command to go to a different desktop.
 >
 > Nope, there is nothing similar in xfce4

An ugly version of the same effect could be achieved by calling scripts
that killed xfwm4 and started the desired WM. You'd retain the rest of
the xfce session - panel, etc - though.

Assuming you can handle the session such that X doesn't exit when some
part of xfce4 is killed, you should be able to kill all of xfce and
transfer to another WM.

I must admit some confusion on the matter of /why/ though. If I need a
session in a different WM, it's only going to be for demos and such -
I'll generally just use "Xnest -query localhost" or start another X server.

Extremely ugly version that'll do things like kill all running xfwm4
sessions if you're logged in multiple times:

#!/bin/sh
WINDOWMANAGER=$1
pkill xfwm4 && $WINDOWMANAGER

Craig Ringer