XFCE4 at last: queries

Philip Webb purslow at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 9 15:09:54 CEST 2003

i finally got XFCE 4 installed in my new very fast box with Gentoo.

it's simple, elegant &  2  features i had understood were missing weren't:
there's a button on the title-bar to roll up the window
-- apparently, it's called 'shading' for some unknown reason --
& the icon-box does just what desktop icons did in XFCE 3 ,
except you don't have to click twice to restore the windows.

however, i have a few problems: (1) how do i get the workspace buttons
to show the names i have assigned them? they do in XFCE 3 :
yes, i did goto the settings manager & write in the names,
but they don't appear on the buttons on the panel (nor do the numbers);
(2) how can i get a larger font in XFterm ?  it's too tiny ;
(3) Mutt is not using the right colors (they're ok in XFCE 3 ):
is it something i have to set for XFterm ?
(4) how can i change the rather silly choice of desktop mouse-buttons
-- middle-click gets a workspace list & right-click a menu of commands,
while L-click does nothing -- : surely, one sb able to choose what does what;
(5) a puzzle AD FIN : a screensaver started up while i was absent,
but it wasn't one of those set by  .xscreensaver : does XFCE 4 have its own ?
i want to have a full serving of Xscreensaver via my well-tuned config file.

and a simple feature request, surely easy to implement:
can we get to set different colors for each workspace background ?
esp i want to make the background fire-red/yellow for my root terminal,
but also it wb much pleasanter to have varied colors for instant recognition.
i do like the mouse on the lined background, but not all the same color.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca