using two monitors with XFce4

Guido Draheim guidod-2003- at gmx.de
Fri Nov 28 09:59:59 CET 2003

Remco Lubbers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to use a second monitor with XFce4 _without_ using Xinerama?
>
> I do not want my desktop to be stretched over the two monitors, I want to use
> the second monitor to display things in a lower resolution to be able to "zoom
> in".
> I can do this with KDE 3.1 (did not do anything special, just setup the
> monitors correctly), but with XFce4 my monitor2 turns blue, while 1 displays
> XFce as expected. I can move my mouse to the second monitor, where the pointer
> becomes an x, so I guess that's plain X...
> I can not drag anything there, things just reappear on the other side of
> monitor1. DO I have to start 2 XFce-sessions or something?

yes, it's a show-stopper, so xfce4 is not going to live on my desktop.
I did dig into mailinglist archives and noticed messages that dualhead
is opted for xfce4.2 based on gtk > 2.2 which has better multihead
support - from one binary.

Similar limitations did exist in kde and gnome about two year ago as well
but their are fixed for quite a time now. In that era I was fixing it
with running an extra xfwm -display :0.1 to put a wm on the second head.
That is _not_ possible with xfwm4 AFAICS, it reports "some wm already
running". That accounts as a bug I'd say but who's going to fix it...

cheers,
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)