XFCE doesn't have a usable graphical login!

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Fri Nov 28 03:15:56 CET 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:32:19 +0100, Otto Wyss wrote:

> >From what I've gathered so far it isn't possible to use XFCE with a
> graphical login.
>
> 1. XDM doesn't allow to shutdown (BTW it looks rather unsupported).
> 2. login.app isn't able to start my otherwise fully running X (with startx)
> 3. GDM requires a rather large part of gnome.
> 4. KDM ditto
> 5. WDM haven't checked but I don't expect any better
>
> As a fact if anyone wants to build a fully graphical solution XFCE can't
> be used. The unplesant choice are either to use the console for
> startx/shutdown or to throw out XFCE and install gnome.
>
> Since I pressed to get a solution within a week I need a hack which
> shutdowns the system instead of closing X. If nobody can provide such a
> hack I have to switch to gome, sorry.

I've heard of some good reports about WDM, so you may want to check it out. But
the easiest method is to just pull xfce4-session from CVS. It will provide a
nice logout/shutdown/reboot option screen when you select the 'quit' option. It
has a lot of other capabilities but this is probably what concerns you most.

BTW, your constant warnings about having to switch to gnome don't really do
anything except annoy me. I really couldn't care less what you use. If you have
a question, just ask. Leave out the threats.

-- b