XFCE doesn't have a usable graphical login!

Amarpreet Rattan arattan at math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 27 22:43:11 CET 2003

ok

add these lines to your Xsetup_0 (in redhat it is in /etc/X11/xdm)

-----------------------

# run the button.tcl file and add shutdown/reboot buttons.
if [ -r /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/buttons.tcl ]
  then
    /usr/bin/wish /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/buttons.tcl &
fi

-----------------------

and, of course, create a file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/ called
buttons.tcl (or put it wherever you like) with the following

-------------------------

# Two buttons, to reboot or halt the system
#
set fp [open /var/run/buttons.pid w]
puts -nonewline $fp [pid]
close $fp

proc shutdown {} {
  catch {exec /sbin/shutdown -h now >/dev/null 2>/dev/null}
}
proc reboot {} {
  catch {exec /sbin/shutdown -r now >/dev/null 2>/dev/null}
}

button .t -borderwidth 5 -width 10 -padx 0 -pady 0 -relief raised \
   -text Reboot   -command reboot
button .b -borderwidth 5 -width 10 -padx 0 -pady 0 -relief raised \
   -text Shutdown -command shutdown

grid .t -column 0 -row 0
grid .b -column 0 -row 1

wm geometry . +10-10

you need to have tcl installed on your machine.