XFCE doesn't have a usable graphical login!

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 27 20:04:44 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 07:58:38PM +0100, Otto Wyss wrote:
> Bob Snyder wrote:
> >
> > I'm speaking from ignorance, since I haven't tried it yet, but have you
> > looked at qingy?
> >
> >     http://qingy.sourceforge.net/about.php
> >
> I've seen it but haven't considered it for two reason: The screenshots
> don't show a shutdown button or similar

then you haven't looked very closely, i'm afraid. the shutdown button is
just called 'power'. also see screenshot 6...

> and since I'm not sure what it
> does I don't like to go through the installation.

when you boot linux to a text console, you get a login prompt. what qinqy
does is replace this login prompt with a graphical login from which you can
run an X sessions, but also a text console if you like. (the latter is
something xdm and friends cannot do.)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments