~/Desktop/Autostart

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Mon Nov 24 05:08:30 CET 2003

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:01:39 -0600, Michael Herman wrote:

> Again, IMHO, the need to specifically tell a script where to find the
> executable seems redunant unless you are running something that is not in
> $PATH.

You're right. It *is* redundant. I just make a habit of using variables to
reference binaries in all my shell scripts. Two reasons:

1. If I have to use a binary in a non-standard location I only have change one
line in the script -- usually one at the beginning of the script.

2. It often makes the code more compact.

In this case the habit probably doesn't buy me much.

BTW, thanks for clarifying the script. Somehow, I didn't get around to it.

:-)

-- b