esound in xfce?

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sun Nov 23 17:05:19 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 06:49, Tom Wesley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I moved to XFCE4 some time back I've had problems with xmms
> stopping after a few traps and telling me that the sound device cannot
> be opened, check the output plugin.  I've been using the esd plugin,
> which seems to work.
> The only other application that I use that produces regular sound is
> gaim, but that should also be using the esd plugin.
>
> If I don't use this, but tell xmms to use ALSA directly it seems to
> work, but gaim cannot make any sound.
>
> Does anyone know a way to make everything work happily?  I don't mind
> running a sound daemon of some sort, although would prefer not to if
> applications can talk directly to ALSA simultaneously.

I don't think that's possible. I use artsd because esd is staticky on my
sound card, but same principles apply. Are you using the XFce mixer
plugin? That's the only thing in XFce that should have anything to do
with the sound card.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...

"So keep that phone out of my way for the things I must say are empty if
you don't believe they're true."
-- The Price I Pay from Worker's Playtime by Billy Bragg