esound in xfce?

Tom Wesley tawesley at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 15:49:39 CET 2003

Hi all,

Since I moved to XFCE4 some time back I've had problems with xmms
stopping after a few traps and telling me that the sound device cannot
be opened, check the output plugin.  I've been using the esd plugin,
which seems to work.
The only other application that I use that produces regular sound is
gaim, but that should also be using the esd plugin.

If I don't use this, but tell xmms to use ALSA directly it seems to
work, but gaim cannot make any sound.

Does anyone know a way to make everything work happily?  I don't mind
running a sound daemon of some sort, although would prefer not to if
applications can talk directly to ALSA simultaneously.

Cheers,

--
Tom Wesley