Panel colors & Autostart entries

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Wed Nov 19 02:48:44 CET 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:58:26 -0800 (PST), Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I'm struggling with 4.0.1 in my attempts to make it as usable and
> appealing (to me, of course) as previous versions. I've just started looking
> at the panel documentation because the colors on my installations are
> horrible: medium blue on pale blue. Yuck! And I've not found anywhere on the
> settings dialog box to change this. I hope to learn how from the
> documentation.

Settings Manager -> User Interface

>   I've seen messages here that indicate the session manager works quite
> differently in the new release. Rather than remembering what applications
> were open on which desktop, and automatically invoking them when X is
> started, I apparently now need to explicitly enter each one in
> ~/Desktop/Autostart. In which piece of documentation is this covered?

Actually this is a workaround for the fact that the session manager isn't ready
yet and is not available in the current release.

Here is the script that I use in my ~/Desktop/Autostart:

startup.sh

#!/bin/sh

#
# Auto start script
#

KSTART=`which kstart`
GAIM=`which gaim`
SYLPH=`which sylpheed`
# ETERM=`which Eterm`
XTERM=`which xterm`
SCR_CMD=`which screen`
GALEON=`which galeon`

$KSTART --window '.*Sylpheed.*' --desktop 4 $SYLPH &
$KSTART --window 'Buddy List' --desktop 5 $GAIM &
$KSTART --window '*screen*' --desktop 1 --maximize $XTERM -e $SCR_CMD -R &
$GALEON --server &

I hope this helps.

-- b