Replacing -3.8.18 with -4.0.0: panel crash

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Nov 16 01:33:09 CET 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> We'll need a bit more info then this to be able to help you.
>
> Can you try running xfce4-panel from an Xterm and look for error
> messages?

Jasper,

  First, the mail list manager stops sending messages to me, but will not
accept the confirmation message it sends out. This is the third or fourth
time I've gone through this in the past couple of months. So, I've only
today unsubscribed and resubscribed.

  Second, to bring you all up to date, I must say you caught me on that one,
Jasper! If I cannot startx then I cannot run xfce4-panel from an xterm. :-)
But, I do have xfce4 running now. Sort-of.

  Third, if I switch to a console (e.g., alt-ctrl-F1) then back to the X
session (ctrl-alt-F7), the xfce display is very dim rather than the full
brightness it was before. Curious.

  Fourth, I now have a new problem: there's no libtempter.so.0, or any
libtempter*. How strange! So I cannot open a virtual terminal in X. What
component of xfce4 might I be missing here?

Many thanks,

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President