need help with color configuration on xfce4

Peter Santoro psantoro at att.net
Sat Nov 8 20:44:01 CET 2003

I just installed xfce4 via source on slackware 8.1 (with updates).
XFree86 is version 4.2.1.  I'm having trouble setting background and
foreground color resources.  Most windows have a dark blue background
with a black font - making it very hard to read.  Here's what I've tried
so far:

settings manager:

I used the settings manager to set the background to blue with the XFce
logo.

xterm:

Setting the resources in my .Xdefaults works using twm, but not with
xfce4.  Setting the resources via "xrdb -merge" in xfce4's xinitrc does
work.  After looking at twm's xinitrc file, this makes sense, because it
checks for the presence of the ~/.Xdefaults file, but xfce4's xinitrc
does not.

mozilla 1.5:

Windows and menus have a dark blue background with a black font and are
difficult to read.  I tried adding resource definitions (as I did with
xterm) to xfce4's xinitrc file with no luck.  Perhaps the definitions I
tried were incorrect.

acrobat reader 5.08:

Pdfs have a dark blue background making them difficult to read.  I tried
adding resource definitions (as I did with xterm) to xfce4's xinitrc
file with no luck.  Perhaps the definitions I tried were incorrect.

Sometimes switching between mozilla and acrobat cause the dark blue
background to change to a more pleasing color of white for the menus and
pdf backgrounds and gray for mozilla's html page background.  Once this
happens, it appears to stay this way.  It doesn't happen often and it's
like voodoo magic when it does.

Obviously, I'm missing something here.  Where is xfce4 getting it's
default colors (compiled in and/or a resource file)?  Is it the
XtDefaultBackground and XtDefaultForeground resources that I need to
change?  If so, where should I change these?  I have a copy of "XFree86
for Linux", but it appears somewhat dated.  Is there a better resource I
should use?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Peter