control-alt-delete

John Pettigrew john at pettigrew.org.uk
Wed Nov 5 18:59:10 CET 2003

In a previous message, Amarpreet Rattan <arattan at math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> sorry for being a lazy rpm user, but I like to keep my system as rpm based
> as possible (easier to manage stuff that way).

To keep your rpm database correct, you can use 'checkinstall' instead of 'make
install' during the compilation. This compiles and inserts the program into
the rpm database for you. It's probably supplied with your distro...

It's quick and dirty - not really recommended if you are going to share the
rpms, but fine for personal use. The reason is that it doesn't mess around
getting all the variables set correctly but uses global defaults - this works
fine on one system but isn't recommended for shared rpms.

John
--
John Pettigrew                         Headstrong Games
john at headstrong-games.co.uk            Fun : Strategy : Price