Xfce 3.8.16 and a different window manager

gardnerj at provide.net gardnerj at provide.net
Fri May 2 23:44:55 CEST 2003

On 02 May 2003 14:34:09 -0700
 Jack Coates <jack at monkeynoodle.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 13:32, Christoph Bier wrote:
> > Jack Coates schrieb:
> > [. . .]
> > > have you tried just running xfce from a term?
> >
> > Yes, I did as I wrote in my first message --
> > with all the appearing problems.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Chris
>
> Man, I must like you.... here I go to the web to find the
> list archives
> and figure out what your problem is.
>
> Chuck?!! What happened to moongroup.com? Wow.
>
> Starting xfce from a session manager is the wrong thing
> to do if you
> don't want to run the XFce desktop; start the other one,
> then launch any
> XFce components you want.
>
> Okay -- anything you do from an xterm can be run
> elsewhere too; .xinitrc
> would be a good place, or as a symlink in
> ~/Desktop/Autostart if your wm
> supports that quasi-standard.

Or as I was going to suggest but was afraid it might be the
wrong way to go about it. . . He said he's using gdm, so
write a Session script that starts the other wm and then
starts the xfce panel. It's worth a try. It's basically how
I've got Xfce4 running now, just a lot of lines in a gdm
Session script.

Jonathan