Upgrading from 3 to 4

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Fri Jun 27 05:18:10 CEST 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:13:59 -0600 (MDT), Peter Milne wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD with XFCE 3.8.18.  Is XFCE 4 ported yet and if
> so, what would be involved to upgrade....and do I want to?

Well, it's still BETA. Currently, it doesn't import 3.x settings.
Finally, it has a different feature set from 3.x. It has some
functionality which far outstrips 3.x but others which do not yet equal
3.x. If you rely on session-management, for example, you will need to
hack your config a bit before you get it to work on 4.0, it is not
provided out of the box.

Of course, it happily co-exists with 3.x, so if you don't like it you
can always revert without any problems.

-- b