Some questions for a newbie

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jul 27 23:13:26 CEST 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Christel & Dr. Frank Biendara wrote:

> The best exaple is that I will edit or view a system config file. For this
> I have to start my favorite file manger, it's xfe, with root rights. I
> will do it as a direct klick from the xfce panel so I have to use a single
> command line which is accepted by the panel. The way should be to "click"
> and then be asked for the password.

Frank,

  I cannot help you here. When I need to edit a configuration file I use
joe, vi or emacs in a terminal window. I think the advantage of running X is
to have open multiple virtual terminals as well as the strictly-GUI apps.

> Rich, you write you use text instead - but how? I can only add graphic
> icons directly in the 1st level of xfce panel.

  On the panel itself there are only icons. See the attached screenshot.
However, pausing the cursor over the icon pops up the command line
associated with it. After a while, the 10 icons are well known to the
programs they launch. The gnu is obviously emacs, the icon for the GIMP says
"GIMP", the jpilot icon is a hand holding a Palm Pilot, and so on.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/