Some questions for a newbie

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sun Jul 27 21:38:05 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 14:00, Christel & Dr. Frank Biendara wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for this very fast response.
>
> These are the answers to the questions of Jack and Rich.
>
> >1) How can I start applications with root right directly from the xfce
> >panel. I emerged (installed) several "su" commands like xsu and gksu but
> >the best I got is that "some" apps start as root from the terminal
>
> The best exaple is that I will edit or view a system config file. For
> this I have to start my favorite file manger, it's xfe, with root
> rights. I will do it as a direct klick from the xfce panel so I have
> to use a single command line which is accepted by the panel. The way
> should be to "click" and then be asked for the password.
>
> So I cannot use sudo. I tried "gksu -u root xfe". When I say to start
> in terminal it works but then there is, in addition to the app, a
> terminal window open.Other apps like gedit won't even start with this.
> The concept of kde "start as different user" would be very effective
> here.

That doesn't explain why you can't use sudo, but whatever floats your
boat. If I need to edit a system file, I'll usually do it from a
terminal with sudo vi [file]. I don't know the xfe file manager, but
look at this screenshot. Use visudo, give yourself passwordless
privilege to run the tool you want, and you're done. If you want to be
prompted for the root password, then use xsu or similar from a terminal
to figure out what the right command line options are.
> >3) I set the desktop borders to 50 but all programs are using this space
> >so it's more or less useless
>
> To explain: I have my xfce panel at the left side - so I don't want to
> have other apps using this place. So I set the desktop borders to a
> value to avoid this. But the apps use this place even with this setup.
> The result is that the panel is hidden by the app or, panel always on
> top, the panel hides the app. BTW, I don't like the auto-hide feature.

me neither. This should work, works fine for me -- I keep window margins
around three sides for panel, lilstars, and gkrellm. This is Setup >
Workspace Margins, right?
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...