Some questions for a newbie

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sun Jul 27 19:48:18 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 12:26, Christel & Dr. Frank Biendara wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the list and I really like xfce. It's fast and structured but
> there are some questions left ;)
>
> Btw, I'm 37 and an BPR and IT professional (but not a developer)
> relativly new to Linux but I leaned a lot in the last weeks and now I
> use xfce4 4.0 RC2 and Gentoo on my XP 1900+ with 512 MByte
>
> 1) How can I start applications with root right directly from the xfce
> panel. I emerged (installed) several "su" commands like xsu and gksu but
> the best I got is that "some" apps start as root from the terminal

do you want to be root automatically or have it ask you for the root
password? xsu and similar require command line options. If you just want
to be root, use sudo [command]. First become root and visudo, then
insert a line allowing your user to run the command without asking for a
password.

> 2) How can I show texts in the xfce panel. The icons are great most
> times but when they are becoming more it's sometimes hard to remember
> which icon is for which program.

Quickest way to this is probably to make a button image in Gimp with the
text on it :-)

?

> 4) Is an automatic log-in possible.

Depends on the display manager. GDM and KDM support this, I don't think
XDM does.

> Thanks in advance for help with this great piece of work and...go ahead ;)
>
> Best regards
>
> Frank

Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...