xfce4 on solaris 8/sparc

brad flight zero at accessdenied.org
Thu Jul 24 23:53:19 CEST 2003

Hello!

I am a recent convert to the wonderful xfce desktop. i have been
quite happy with xfce3, and with the announcement of xfce4 rc2
i was ready to make the jump.

anyway, to make a long story short, i compiled xfce4 from source with no
issue (except for fce4-mixer-3.99.2, but i don't really use the audio
on my ultrasparc anyway), but after it was built, i noticed 2 things.

first, unlike xfce3, xfce4 didn't automatically add itself to CDE's xdm.
(dealing with cde's xdm is a *real* pita)

and second, when i tried to start xfce4 from the command line (using
startxfce4) it simply kicked me back to the command line.

did i miss something? :)

thanks in advance!

-brad

// brad f - zero at accessdenied.org