Installing XFCE4 under SuSE 8.2

Spyros Tsiolis spytsi at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 10:52:34 CEST 2003

Been there, done that, had a lot of trouble. Here is what works.

I am using Mandrake btw, so there might be some minor differences.

Take away xfce-4 package with either yast or manual rpm 'ing it.
Also take away with "rm -rf" any xfce-related directories you find on the
users' home folders :

# ls -a

# rm -rf .blah <enter>

do a [find / -name "*xfce*" -print | more]
(without the brackets)
to make sure you don't have anything with the string "xfce"

Rebuild the new xfce version.

If you don't find xfce on the X display manager menu, try accessing SuSEs'
config tools to make it happen. E.g. Mandrake has got an app called
"Mandrake Control Center"
and in that there is an option that says "Manage Display Managers" or
something like that.
Try finding something relevant to that and make sure you have the KDM
display manager.
It should do the trick.

HTH,

s.

>On Wednesday 16 July 2003 15:41, Dennis Tuchler wrote:

>> > An error message?  A description of what exactly is occuring,and
>> > what you expect to occur.  "could not call it up" doesn't really
>> > tell us anything.
>>
>>Thank you for your quick response to my note.
>>
>>There was no entry on the list of desktops available on the KDE
>>startup screen and, when I logged onto KDE, opened a terminal and
>>entered "xfce" or "xfce4" nothing happened except a  "command not
>>found" message.
>
>What I did (this was a build from CVS) was create a symlink from startxfce4
>to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFce4, then added XFce4 to the session list in the KDE
>Control Center (System Administration -> Login Manager -> Administrator
>Mode -> Sessions).  KDM doesn't automatically add window managers to the
>list when they get installed.

-----
"I merely function as a channel that filters music through
the chaos of noise"
- Vangelis