Installing XFCE4 under SuSE 8.2

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Wed Jul 16 23:19:42 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 15:41, Dennis Tuchler wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 15:34, Net Llama! wrote:
> > On 07/16/03 13:28, Dennis Tuchler wrote:
> > > I downloaded xfce4-rc1-rpm-suse82.tar.bz2 and unpacked it to a
> > > directory.  I then ran yast2 -i * and installed xfce4.  After
> > > rebooting, I could not call it up.
> > >
> > > Please advise as to what I should check for.
> >
> > An error message?  A description of what exactly is occuring,and
> > what you expect to occur.  "could not call it up" doesn't really
> > tell us anything.
>
> Thank you for your quick response to my note.
>
> There was no entry on the list of desktops available on the KDE
> startup screen and, when I logged onto KDE, opened a terminal and
> entered "xfce" or "xfce4" nothing happened except a  "command not
> found" message.

What I did (this was a build from CVS) was create a symlink from startxfce4
to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFce4, then added XFce4 to the session list in the KDE
Control Center (System Administration -> Login Manager -> Administrator Mode
 -> Sessions).  KDM doesn't automatically add window managers to the list
when they get installed.