session manager and user environment in XFCE4

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Fri Jul 11 14:50:59 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 19:48, Agi Subagio wrote:
> > What about creating a script and calling it - with the "sleep" command
> > in it...keep in mind that if you're starting X from a console, .xinitrc
> > is what is called - and if you're starting from GDM/KDM/XDM, the
> > .xsession is called...so having the same data in both files (or just
> > nail down the one that you're actually using) should help...
>
> Do you have any example for this?
> I have the same content in .xinitrc and .xsession file, but still won't
> work... :(
> I'm starting with graphical (init 5) setting.

What I would reckon is that it might be better to put the Oracle
variables into the /etc/profiles - so that they're system-wide - unless
you can't do that - but by doing that, the variables (exports) are
available no matter what window manager or desktop is used - and whether
the graphical login is used or the console login is used. If it's a
matter of calling up an application, I'd append the call for the script
to start the application at the end of the .xinitrc or the .xsession
file; but in the script calling the application, use the "sleep" program
to wait a certain amount of seconds whilst the desktop/window manager
start up - then the application would start after the desktop has
finished loading...

> > Are these variables something you might want to include in the
> > /etc/profile so that they're system wide, or is this strictly per user?
>
> This is only for some user.

So are all the variables ONLY for that user as well? And if so, couldn't
those variables be coded into a script that is only called from the
~/home/nameoftheuser/.xsession or .xinitrc - or even a script called BY
either of those?

> I want to use linux for some user with a little knowledge of using computer.
> We have a custom application that run on linux.
> Everytime he turn on his machine, the system will automatically login with
> his username and password.
> After that, our custom application will come up immediately without his
> interuption.
> I can do that with GNOME/KDE, but those desktop env is heavier and longer to
> load than XFCE4.
>
> So.. what should I do next?

XFCE4 will read the programs in the Autostart folder for KDE - is it not
doing that now?

--
Fri Jul 11 22:40:00 EST 2003
 22:40:00 up 5 days, 12 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.10, 0.03

Forgetfulness, n.:
	A gift of God bestowed upon debtors in compensation for
	their destitution of conscience.