how can I restart xfce4 from the keyboard.

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Jul 8 10:51:43 CEST 2003

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:36:16 -0700
Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> writes:
>
> > I don't think you can, apart from 'killall xfwm4 && xfwm4 --daemon'.
> > Why would you want to?
>
> We always could before.  As to why.  Well, its handy to try out new
> settings or even changes in .Xdefaults.  Probably why most X manager
> type tools have a way to do it, and why xfce had until now.

XFce settings are applied immediately from the settings manager and for
changing 'hidden' xfwm option I don't think we should provide an obvious
way to restart; they are hidden for a reason. Personal opinion, though.

> 'killall xfwm4 && xfwm4 --daemon' does it though, thanks.
>
> Now, what about exiting a session?  When you click the little `exit'
> icon on the panel, what command does it run?.  I want to set key
> combos to do it.

If you don't use a settings manager it will simply quit the panel. If
you do use a settings manager it asks the session manager to quit. I
don't know how to do either with a keyboard shortcut, 'killall
xfce4-panel' may work for the first case, although you won't have an
exit dialog.

	Jasper