[xfce3] position of xfpanel on multiple screens

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sat Jan 18 17:52:32 CET 2003

Hi David,

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:18:28 +0100
David Ferch <dferch at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using NIS+ on multiple workstations with different screen
> resolutions at work (e.g. ws1=1024x768, ws2=1280x1023 and
> ws3=1600x1200). My problem is, because I have access to the same
> home-directory on every workstation(it's a really nice feature) the
> xfpanel appears someone else everytime I change the workstation. Is
> there a feature like automatic position ? Or can I give a
> configuration option for static positions on different screen sizes ?

I don't think there is any such feature I'm afraid. And since all
development currently takes place on xfce 4 I don't think there is much
chance of getting this into xfce 3.

The only thing I can think of is to have two configuration files
somewhere and link the correct one from .xinitrc before starting xfce.
Possibly based on the computer hostname.

Something like this:

if [ -n "`hostname | grep mybox1`" ]; then
  ln -sf ~/.xfce/xfce3rc-box1 ~/.xfce/xfce3rc
else
  ln -sf ~/.xfce/xfce3rc-box2 ~/.xfce/xfce3rc
fi

exec startxfce

Haven't tried this, but I think it could work.

Should you wish to try xfce 4 (which I don't recommend for production
systems) I can tell you that I just implemented this feature :) The
panel will save the screen size and when the user logs in using a
different screen resolution, the coordinates will be adjusted
accordingly.

	Jasper

> cu
> David
>
> --
> Against TCPA - nothing fights like the opposition
> http://www.againsttcpa.com

IRC channel: #xfce on irc.freenode.net