xfce4 on Suse 81

Net Llama! netllama at linux-sxs.org
Fri Jan 10 16:59:13 CET 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Andreas Ott wrote:
> If you want to be unfriendly feel free.

He wasn't being unfriendly, he was being honest.  Your queries indicate
that you have little or no experiencce building software, especially
software that is in a alpha or beta state.

> the homepage it says:
> Building the modules should be a simple matter of typing.
>
> Ok sorry I might be too stupid for typing but don't you think this should
> run with major distributions? Do you always need the devel packages when
> configering modules from source - well this is the first one for me! Ok fine
> but it could be stated somewhere, what do you think?

I think that you're way out of your league if you don't realize that devel
packages are needed to compile software.  This is newbie level stuff, and
quite honestly, its been asked, and documented countless times all over
usenet.  This is compounded by the fact that you couldn't even comprehend
the error that it was spewing, even though it was telling you how to fix
your problem.

XFCE4 is beta, maybe even alpha quality software.  If you expect that to
run on major distros, or any distro without some basic linux experience,
then you are int he wrong place.