xfce4 on Suse 81

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Fri Jan 10 14:19:12 CET 2003

Andreas,

> If you want to be unfriendly feel free.

Jasper, wasn't unfriendly, he was just saying that what he was saying might
sound unfriendly while it's not... it's different.

> run with major distributions? Do you always need the devel packages
> when
> configering modules from source - well this is the first one for me!

It's not a matter of major or minor distribution, it's simply that if you want
to  compile programs, you need to have a working developpment environment...

The page doesn't say that you need a C compiler either, for example. Although
you need one! gcc is part of the "development" packages of your distribution.

> Ok fine but it could be stated somewhere, what do you think?

I think it's developpment packages, so if you are not familiar with compiling
programs from sources, you'd better wait for a final release, when we hopefully
will provide binary packages. I think this is what Jasper meant...

But, if you still want to compile xfce4 from sources, please do, what you learn
now will be usefull for other packages too. Installing gtk+ devel packages is
required to compile *any* package that depends on gtk+

Cheers,
Olivier.
--
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.
Designed for productivity,  it loads  and  executes  applications fast,