Changing xfterm color or running xterm

Heiko Berges hb-mlist+xfce at bsls.de
Thu Jan 9 18:46:04 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:47:45AM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:

> Next steps, dump your environment. This would do:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>         foreach my $key (keys(%ENV)) {
>                 print $key."\t".$ENV{$key}."\n";
> 	        }

env  will do, too.

> Make sure that $TERMCMD is really what you want. Then, try temporarily
> editing the xfterm script to simply print the value of $TERMCMD instead
> of running it.
> mv /path/to/xfterm /tmp/

Not recommended.  Mv does not change the timestamp, so xfterm
will be deleted in case the cronjob starts which removes old
tmpfiles.

TERMCMD must be exported from the environment xfce is started from, but
you did not tell how you did start xfce (from xdm/kdm/gdm, from the
commandline,..)  Please try this:

	Exit xfwm and X

	from the console in a bourneish shell:

	$ TERMCMD="whatever terminalemulator you want -all -fancy -options"
	$ export TERMCMD
	$ startxfce

If you start xfce from a displaymanager you can export environment
variables from xinitrc or set them in the resources file. (man xdm)

	Heiko