xfce4

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 1 06:36:40 CET 2003

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:54:19 -0500 (EST), Landy Roman wrote:

> are the changes implemented in xfce4 more of eye candy or is
> there and enhancement into speed and applications?

Eye Candy is *good*. :-)

But seriously, the main differences with xfce3 is in the areas of
standards compliance, modularity and maintainability.

* XFce4 is more tightly compliant with the freedesktops.org standards

* XFce4 is far more modular than 3. This allows you to mix-and-match
applications -- even those from other environments.

* Since it is all fresh code, it's pretty clean. This makes it far more
maintainable than 3. This means that in the long run, it'll be easier to
add features as needed. I can't wait to see XFce 4.5 !

> it does appear a little slower than xfce 3 .... this is not a
> critisim just an observation

a) It's built on a heavier toolkit: gtk2

b) Right now we are still getting the basics in place, speed ups and
optimizations haven't been looked at yet.

-- b