questions and suggestions

Francois Le Clainche fleclainche at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 23 13:40:56 CET 2003

Le mardi 23 décembre 2003 à 13:22, Martin Bretschneider a écrit:

> Hi *,

Hi,

> I've been a great GNOME fan from the 1.2-days on. Now I installed xfce
> 4.0.0 and all the plugins and goodies on my Debian unstable.
>
> I love it since it starts in very few seconds, does not eat that much
> RAM, is faster at all (e.g. displacing windows) and uses gtk2 which
> seems to me to be a very nice tk.
>
> But there are some things I do not like and want to be improved;
>
> 1. panel
> -Changing the position of apps in the panel with the mouse. I guess the
> middle mouse button is quite common
> -Moving launchers to the menu of another launcher

AFAIK this is planned for the future.

> 2. window manager
> -put the icons of apps in the window bar and in the menu that pops
> up while pressing <alt>+<tab> just as in the task bar

> 3. task bar
> -grouping of apps

Apps are already grouped, but only when the taskbar is full.

> -context menus for each app like maximize, close and maybe kill (kill)
> and destroy (kill -9)

Context menu for the taskbar is in CVS version.

> 4. file manager
> -a kind of file type database. I do want to run xpdf to view pdfs but gv
> is invoked. If I enter xpdf in the toolbar manually it won't be
> remembered and is not displayed in the context menu the next time.

Select the "Remember" option before pressing the Ok button and the app
will be saved.

http://members.home.nl/xfce4/documentation/xfwm4.html#wm-focus

> - OO.o does not recognize the gtk2 theme and thus does not adjust the
> widget color and the font. I guess that OO.o expects gnome-session or
> so.

I personnally use an executable file placed in ~/Desktop/Autostart which
contains the following two lines (thx to Jasper):

#!/bin/sh
xprop -root -format GNOME_SM_PROXY 8i -set GNOME_SM_PROXY 1

then OOo starts using the current Gtk2 theme.

> What do you think about it?
>
> Kind regards from snowy (a little bit though;) Germany

Regards from humid (very) France :D

François
--
F. Le Clainche - PGP key: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/flc.web/pgp.html