Icons instead of taskbar possible?

Merlyn Morgan-Graham kavika13 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 10:34:19 CET 2003

Chris Green wrote:

> As I always intone when this comes up, civilisation grew out of using
>
>icons for writing several thousand years ago (i.e. Egyptian
>hieroglyphics) so why on earth are we now trying to bring them back
>on computers (not to mention electrical appliances and cars).
>
>I suspect that it makes it easier/cheaper to manufacture as no
>translation or multi-language confuguration is needed, but from the
>point of view of the user it's a retrograde step.

If both make sense to different sets of users, the likely both should be
implemented.

I find a picture in a group of pictures much faster than I find text in
a group of text. That's the only reason I prefer icons.

To be fair, I actually prefer icons w/ text labels, which unfortunately
iconbox doesn't do. If the taskbar could be geometrically configured
like the iconbox to grow, had more flexable positioning, and if I had
the option of specifying the max/min button width, I'd be happy. Add
"same app" icon grouping (ala MS. Yes, say "bleh!" am much as you want,
but these features aren't too terribly expensive) and I'd say it was
perfect.

Now I'm off to figure out how to force new browser windows to open up a
new tab, and not a new window, in Firebird =)