Icons instead of taskbar possible?

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 17:45:19 CET 2003

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 08:40:09AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > Yes, I think that would be my preference too.  Best of all would be if
> > the desktop ions could be text only, this is how I have CDE set up on
> > my Solaris box at work.
>
>   Permit me to add my support to the growing chorus. I like the way
> xfce-3.8.18 (and all prior versions) put minimized icons on the root window.
> The idea of having text only is really great! I have found it much easier to
> understand the meaning of the written word than to memorize pictures. Yes, I
> have learned certain icon meanings over the years, but words are still
> easier for me.

As I always intone when this comes up, civilisation grew out of using
icons for writing several thousand years ago (i.e. Egyptian
hieroglyphics) so why on earth are we now trying to bring them back
on computers (not to mention electrical appliances and cars).

I suspect that it makes it easier/cheaper to manufacture as no
translation or multi-language confuguration is needed, but from the
point of view of the user it's a retrograde step.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)