Icons instead of taskbar possible?

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sun Dec 21 00:56:02 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 14:57, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:49:06PM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:

> > > Well commenting out taskbar is easy enough but there's no iconbox
> > > line, assuming iconbox is right I'll just try adding it.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > [jack at chupacabra jack]$ grep -r iconbox .xfce4/
> > .xfce4/xinitrc:xfce4-iconbox &
> >
> Why, oh why, oh why, oh why are there so many !*"!$%^!"%^ different
> ways of starting stuff up on X.
>
> I have a ~/.xfce4/xinitrc, changed that, no effect.
>
> I have a .xinitrc, changed that, no effect.
>
> I have a file in ~/Desktop/Autostart, that starts things so I can add
> xfce4-iconbox there but I still ***** can't turn off the taskbar
> because it's somewhere else.
>
> ... and no I didn't create ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xfce4/xinitrc, some
> miserable installation program did.

take a complex system with twenty years of ingrown features and "we'll
just simplify this" changes, then add a bunch of distro people trying to
automate everything so it's easy enough for grandma :-)

The exact incantation to make it go is distribution specific.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
* "Learned men as years gone by have written your praises high, A    *