A wm issue

roger rstmp at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 09:27:59 CET 2003

Hi,

I've got a (small?) wm problem. It's not specific to XFce since I observe the
same unexpected behavior with KDE, Gnome and others. Obviously the writers of
XFCE are competent wm guys, so they might help me in finding the cause of
this problem.

Here is my issue:

When I launch Mozilla (1.4), its window always open at the screen top left
corner (position 0.0) regardless the workspace margins. A second window will
fully overlap the first one, and so on...

I get the same behavior with a small Motif-based program I wrote, in which I
do not specify any initial position (not hardcoded nor in my
.Xdefaults/.Xresources)

Again this non-intelligent placement happens with all window managers I've got
except mwm.

What may be curious is that Netscape (should be similar to Mozilla) as well as
nedit (linked with Motif 2.1.30) do behave as expected (intelligent initial
placement).

My system: Mdk 9.2 - Linux 2.4.23 - XFree86 4.3.0 - XFce 4.0.1

Thanks,
Roger