smb troubles

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon Dec 15 00:05:55 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 09:49, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> well, i've tried to compile 4.01. Never mind. Looks like a lot of work and
> these
> days I don't have the time. So I went back to 3.8.18 on a Mandrake 9.2 box.

http://clevername.homeip.net/xfce4/

I've got this going on several 9.2 boxes. Easy.

> Now this is something that does not belond here, so apologies if I am
> irritating
> someone (Olivier, please bare with me :-).
>
> Here goes,
>
> on the SMB explorer app on xfce I am no longer able to check a win2k shared
> box
> I have on the lan. I have all my work there and all my music which I listen
> through
> the network
>
> What I used to do was this :
>
> from the command prompt :
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator //prometheus(the win2kbox)/music
> /mnt/music
> <enter>
>
> and it used to work. Now it says "too many mounted filesystems" and stuff
> like that.

It could be already mounted. Anyway, fire up DrakConf and set up the
mount there. Pointy-clicky, easy.

> OK, I've put in all the smb-related .rpm's and compiled smbfs as part of the
> kernel (I tried
> it as a module, didn't work, so I tried it as part of the kernel in case I
> did something wrong).
>
> Nada,
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> s.
>

> -----
> "I merely function as a channel that filters music through
> the chaos of noise"
> - Vangelis

Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
*"Remember that fell evening when you heard the banshee's howl,      *
*there was lazy drunken bastards singing 'Benny and the Belle.' They *
*brought you up to Midnight Mass and left you in the lurch, so you   *
*dropped a button in the plate and spewed up in the church."         *
*-- The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn from Rum, Sodomy and The Lash by      *
*The Pogues                                                          *