XFCE does not kill the applications when quiting

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Dec 13 09:04:37 CET 2003

Hi

That's not correct, no window manager or desktop environment "kills" the
app on exit.

It's the job of the session manager to send a "save yourself" event on
exit, but neither fluxbox nor icewm feature a session manager.

Moreover, only compatible app are able to interpret a "save yourself"
signal from the session manager.

If an application doesn't quit when the X session dies, it's a bug in
the app. File a bug to the app maintainer.

I would add that killing apps when the WM dies is really not a desired
behaviour, as that would make environment switching while logged
impossible...

Cheers,
Olivier.