Disappearing window

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Mon Dec 8 02:42:02 CET 2003

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:23:08 -0800 (PST), Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I'm one of the odd-balls who does not like the taskbar, so that's not
> functioning on my notebook. I hope that this is not the cause of my problem:
> I iconized (I _thought_) a virtual console window to get to another window
> slipped under it, and the iconized window has disappeared! No icon on the
> root window.

I don't like the taskbar either. The only alternative to xftaskbar is
xfce4-iconbox. In order to activate it, you'll need to copy the xinitrc file
from /etc/xfce4/ (sometimes it's under /usr/etc or /usr/local/etc) to your
~/.xfce4 directory. Edit it and comment out the line with 'xftaskbar4' in it and
uncomment the line with 'xfce4-iconbox'.

If you don't like the iconbox either, you'll have to use rox-filer or Alt-Tab to
hidden windows.

-- b