Need help on getting xfce to run on OpenBSD (sparc64)

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Aug 17 06:38:15 CEST 2003

I have searched for answers on the xfce.org site, the OpenBSD website, and
Google and found nothing, so I am asking here for any tips that someone can
provide.  I am running OpenBSD 3.3 (sparc64 CD-ROM version) on a SunBlade
100 and I have installed xfce-3.8.16.tgz from the packages.  As root, when I
am in the normal shell and type "startxfce" I see nothing.  When I am in the
bash shell and type it in I see "/usr/local/bin/startxfce" for about a half
second and then the screen blanks and nothing.

I know that x runs because I can type in "startx" and get the usual window
manager.  I know that installing from the package is supposed to do
everything, but I have no extra files in my /root directory and it seems
from the little bits of documentation that this is wrong, but the
documentation seems to be for Linux and I am running OpenBSD.

When I type in pkg_info I see the xfce package, a GTK package and some
others that were not there before.

So, does anyone have any tips on where I should start to look for further
info on how to get xfce to run or better yet some instructions on how they
got it to run ?

TIA

Greg