Hopefully OT stupid bash question

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Thu Aug 14 21:44:46 CEST 2003

Saw that thread, but didn't think it applies since this is the only one
of many computers and versions of XFce it happens with.

For instance, let's look at the terminal button on my dock, which just
runs xfterm4. xfterm4 is a script which will run $TERMCMD if you've set
it. Well, mine is set by ~/.bash_profile.

If I run a new shell with -ls or --login it sources the ~/.bash_profile
as it's supposed to, but that's only valid for that one shell -- the
terminal button is still going to launch an xterm with no options.

On Mandrake 9.1, ~/.bash_profile is sourced when I log into X. On Red
Hat 7.3, it isn't. I use init 5 and GDM on both systems, only difference
is Mandrake's GDM versus Ximian's.

thanks,
Jack

--