Newcomer queries

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Aug 13 18:59:13 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 12:22, John Pettigrew wrote:
> First, is there any way to make the taskbar less than the full width of the
> screen, or to get any kind of popup menu from it? ATM, I have no menus either
> for the windows on the bar or for the bar itself.

No, the taskbar is really for output only. No menu there.

> Second, is there any way to use keypresses to change workspace? Under Gnome2,
> I used Alt-1, Alt-2 etc., which saved going to and from the mouse too much.

Either use Ctrl+F1, F2, Fn or Ctrl+Alt+Arrow Left/Right to navigate
between desktops.

> Third, is there any way to get some programs to autostart on login?

Put symlinks or executable shell scripts in ~/Desktop/Autostart

> Fourth, there seems to be a small misfeature in the panel - when I select
> Settings manager from the popup menu, the panel fails to hide itself again
> (just as it does when a menu is opened and then closed without selecting an
> item from it).

This bug relies in the design of gtk itself and there is not much we can
do about that. FYI, GNOME panel has the same problem.

> Also, I installed the SuSE rpms (I'm running SuSE 8.2) for XFce4 rc2, but I
> can't find the menu.xml file referred to in the manual (to edit the desktop
> menu). Does anyone know where this is installed on SuSE?

It's really install dependent. Should be in /etc/xfce4/

> Finally, is there any way to set the default browser used by XFce4? It
> currently uses mozilla, but I prefer Firebird.

Put "export BROWSER=firebird" in your /etc/profile, assuming you use
bash as shell.

Cheers,
Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org