Newcomer queries

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Wed Aug 13 13:01:56 CEST 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:22:46 +0100
John Pettigrew <john at pettigrew.org.uk> wrote:

> I am a newcomer to XFce (from Gnome2) and am liking what I'm seeing.
> However, there are a few things I'd like to clarify.
>
> First, is there any way to make the taskbar less than the full width
> of the screen, or to get any kind of popup menu from it? ATM, I have
> no menus either for the windows on the bar or for the bar itself.

No.

> Second, is there any way to use keypresses to change workspace? Under
> Gnome2, I used Alt-1, Alt-2 etc., which saved going to and from the
> mouse too much.

Use CTRL + F1/F2 etc.

> Third, is there any way to get some programs to autostart on login?

Edit your .xinitrc/.xsession (or even ~.xfce4/xinitrc) or use the
session manager.

> Fourth, there seems to be a small misfeature in the panel - when I
> select Settings manager from the popup menu, the panel fails to hide
> itself again(just as it does when a menu is opened and then closed
> without selecting an item from it).

Thats a known bug (Olivier told me its even GTK related) and yet to be
fixed.

> Finally, is there any way to set the default browser used by XFce4? It
> currently uses mozilla, but I prefer Firebird.

Set $BROWSER to your browser of choice.

You may want to read the FAQ and the documentation at www.xfce.org
before asking the next time since all questions are covered in there.

> John

 Moritz