xfce4 rc2!

Brian Masinick masinick at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 03:44:57 CEST 2003

--- Ken Moffat <kmoffat at drizzle.com> wrote:
>    I just tried update-xfce, the script that is available from xfce.org,
> and it downloaded , compiled and installed perfectly once all
> dependencies were met. I had to add several libraries. I am using
> Libranet 2.8.1 beta 2.
>    I am impressed with how far the xfce4 project has come. I have been
> using the Debian Unstable debs, which are quite old, and I see much
> improvement.
>    I have been hesitant to step outside the debian package manager, but
> am very glad to have tried it!
>
> Ken

I've used that script several times, but for one reason or another, I haven't
had much success getting it to work.  I did, however, have success by
downloading a tarball of the CVS sources, and with two for loops, one for
xfce-devel and another for xfce4-extra, I was able to configure, make, and
install, then clean up without problems.

I'll have to try the update script again and see if it'll work better for me,
since you've had good success with it.  Like you, I'm using Libranet, an
excellent commercial implementation of Debian GNU/Linux software.

Thanks for the info, Ken!

=====
Brian Masinick, mailto:masinick at yahoo.com
Home page: http://www.geocities.com/masinick/