Panel and taskbar integration?

Brian Masinick masinick at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 16:33:29 CEST 2003

Joe Klemmer wrote:

>Remind me one of these days to write up the history of Linux from my
>perspective.  I know a few tidbits and "little known facts" that would
>be fun to document for posterity.

Joe, I'd love to see that kind of document and history.
I own a copy of the book, "Just For Fun", the one that
interviews Torvalds and provides a bit of an inside
look, not just of the system, but of the person and the
thinking that led to the development of Linux software
as we know it.

I was in computing long before 1991.  In 1991, I did not
believe in owning my own system.  I figured that I did
computing for work.  I was at Digital Equipment Corp.
at that time, and I could easily get equipment to take
home when I needed to do work, but I did both the work
and the "fun" stuff on systems owned by my company, I
just stayed late if I wanted to play.

It wasn't until 1995 that I got curious and interested
enough in Linux software that I decided to get my own
system so that I could play with it on my own terms - at
home.

Sometimes I wish I'd done it a lot sooner, other times
I wonder otherwise!  ;-)

I rarely run anything except Linux software these days,
and at the moment, I'm running Mandrake 9.1 software
because it seemed to be an easy platform on which I could
get XFCE 4.0 RC 2, which is what I'm using right now.

I'm more interested in hearing some of your historical
musings, though, so I hope it comes soon!

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:masinick at yahoo.com