Panel and taskbar integration?

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Tue Aug 5 05:30:51 CEST 2003

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:33:32 +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 22:11, Dan Stone wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 12:55, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> > XFce exists because a group of people want their desktop
> > experience to be, well, XFce-like -- not because they want to
> > dominate marketshare ^_^
>
> Very true.
>
> Doesn't mean that we don't pay attention to users though.
>
> Sometimes, I do listen but I don't advertise it.

And as Jas once said, sometimes we just say 'No' to weed out temporary
whims from real user needs.

> Sometimes ppl just want xfce to look/behave like icewm, fluxbox, kde,
> gnome, etc. All of these are good free projects, why not using them
> instead of asking for a desktop that would do just *everything" the
> others do?

I have to admit that I have been guilty of this on occasion, too. From a
coder's perspective, adding features can be very seductive. Writing code
to make XFce flexible enough to "do everything" would an interesting
challenge. However, that doesn't mean that it is necessarily a good
thing.

-- b