root window completely messed up

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Fri Sep 13 22:02:09 CEST 2002

Rich,

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 18:57, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Once I changed -bpp to -depth, X complained that the monitor didn't
> support 32 bpp (which it had before for a number of years). I didn't want to
> argue with it so I changed /etc/Xll/XF86Config-4 to have monitor and screen
> sections defining the default as 24 bpp.

32 bpp is really 24 bpp but with 8 bits unused. In some cases (but not
all), this makes things a little bit faster as the processor handles 4
bytes instead of 3.

Not all cards support 32bpp depth (neither my laptop nor the NVidia at
work support it). Better stay with 24bpp.

And yes, things have changed between XFree86 3.3.x and 4.x so it might
have worked previous but not anymore.

Cheers,
--
Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.