root window completely messed up

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 13 18:57:32 CEST 2002

On 13 Sep 2002, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> 	I do believe that Xconfigurator configures XFree 4 in RH 7.3, at least.

  It does. But, it's not resolving my messed-up display. I think it broke
when I saw the X server message that '-bpp' has been deprecated and replaced
with '-depth'. So, I did that in everyone's .bash_profile.

  I have a conditional in there to set the resolution based on the
workstation. One has a 19" monitor and will comfortably support 1024x768
bpp, the other has a 17" monitor and is comfortable at 800x600. Both, of
course, support higher resolutions, but no one here can view it comfortably
without reading glasses. :-) Ergo, lower resolution means more comfort.

  Once I changed -bpp to -depth, X complained that the monitor didn't
support 32 bpp (which it had before for a number of years). I didn't want to
argue with it so I changed /etc/Xll/XF86Config-4 to have monitor and screen
sections defining the default as 24 bpp.

  This same pair of changes worked just fine on this workstation but
resulted in an inability to properly display the root window on the other
workstation.

  Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Rich