root window completely messed up

Michael Klein el.micha.klein at gmx.net
Fri Sep 13 04:24:14 CEST 2002

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Michael Klein wrote:
>

>>AFAIK Xconfigurator is just for configuring XFree 3.x.x.
>>What version of XFree were running before you re-ran Xconfigurator?
>>If two versions of XFree are installed, Xconfigurator set symlinks to version
>>3.x.x and creats a XFConfig, not XFConfig-4 in /etc/X11/.
>

> Michael,
>
>   It was messed up before I did anything to it. What's the new tool to set
> up XFree86-4?
O.K. I have to correct my posting. A google-search revealed:
Xconfigurator CAN create a /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.
(although I was not able to get one, when Xconfigurator
messed up my X-installation).It always did choose XFree86 3, even
in --expert mode!
If Xconfigurator is launched with no parameters, and two versions
of XFree86 are installed IT chooses the server which will work best
with your card. To force Xconfigurator to configure XFree 4 it must be
started with the --preferxf4 option. Another program worth a try might be
xf86cfg. Red Hat shipps it in an extra rpm(XFree86-xf86cfg or similar).
Bye,
          Michael