GDK warning

David Ayers fogey at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 12 20:45:44 CEST 2002

I am running Linux From Scratch, xfce version 3.8.14c with XFree86 4.0.
When I load xfce from the console (using startx) I get these console
warning messages:

GDK-WARNING ** Error converting icon name to text property
	(multiple identical warnings like this)
GDK-WARNING ** Cannot set locale modifiers
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported. Using default.

Xfce goes ahead and runs, and everything seems to work. When I open
mozilla-1.0 I get an xterm with similar error messages, but moz works OK.

None of the above seemed too important until I tried to install StarOffice
6.0 from its distribution disk. It wouldn't install. Got this error when
running setup from /mnt/cdrom/linux/office60:

[dave at sandbar office60]$ ./setup
glibc version: 2.2.5
I18N: X Window System doesn't support locale "C"
pure virtual method called
[dave at sandbar office60]$

Where do I start looking?

Dave