Strange behavior with upgrade to RH 7.3

Chuck Mead csm at MoonGroup.com
Fri Sep 6 16:51:31 CEST 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Philip Dean posted the following:

PD>>> I have just dealt with a reinstall required by a
PD>>> binary compatibility issue with gcc(Lunar Linux
PD>>> uses gcc 3.2 now up from 2.95) and my partitioning
PD>>> scheme made it a painless process.
PD>
PD>Would you be willing to share your partitioning
PD>scheme?  I am always looking for ways to improve or
PD>tweak my systems.  Right now I am using five partitions.
PD>
PD>/boot
PD>/
PD>/home
PD>/usr
PD>/storage
PD>
PD>
PD>I am toying with the idea of doing a full system
PD>upgrade to try and work in GTK2 (possibly XFCE4) as
PD>well as restructuring my personal files.  I would
PD>interesting to see how some more advanced Linux users
PD>recommend partitioning.

Well my flavor of Linux is source based (http://lunar-linux.org) and the
sources are stored in /var/spool/lunar so what I do is I have a separate
/var partition that is quite large to hold those sources... the cool
thing about that for me is it means that in a post-install environment I
do not have to wait while fresh source code is downloaded from the net!

Here is my partitioning scheme:

/dev/hda1              3937220    245812   3491404   7% /
/dev/hdc2             19259836   1584564  16696916   9% /usr
/dev/hda4             18287088   6866404  10491728  40% /home
/dev/hda2             15749248   3444136  11505076  24% /var

so when I did my install I did not reformat /home or /var. I got a brand
new install with fresh binaries compiled via gcc 3.2 but did not lose
anything in the process.

/usr is as large as it is because of all the development work we do on
Lunar Linux... prior to the reinstall it was up around 60% use...

I hth!

- --
csm

"Look, I want to make Microsoft's life miserable; so I'll tell you what,
I'll pay you $10 million a year to torture Microsoft."   --Steve Ballmer